Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Thyroid Cancer - A Job Loss

In February, my husband lost his job. This was another major stress factor adding to my already fragile physical and mental condition. We were not in dire straights financially but things had been tight with a cut in his sales territory over the last year and a half and a loss of almost 50% of our income. We decided that we both would look for a job and whoever got one first would work and if it were me then he would continue to look for a job that he would enjoy doing and not just settle for one that would pay the bills. Our biggest obstacle at this point was a $960 COBRA insurance payment. Once again we could not net this lapse due to my pre-existing condition.

I contacted my old CPA firm and began communications with the partner in my old area. We began to discuss what options I had for returning to work. At one point they had offered me a part-time position with flexible hours but I was pregnant with my daughter and not interested. So we began to look at options.

As time progressed we came to an agreement that I would return 3 days a week with 2 overnights. A client was found that was starting a project at the end of May and I would lead this implementation. I talked with the partner on April 13th and it was almost all set. The partners’ meeting was two days later in the morning and they would approve the budget at that point.